Weekly commitment: 8-10 hours per week
This position has a minimum of an 8 month commitment from start date.
We are social change catalysts. We support sustainable solutions to global poverty and inspire youth to create a better world.
At Global Agents we believe that no dream is too big and nothing is impossible, that inspired and motivated young people can truly change the world.
Global Agents was founded in January of 2007 by a group of young professionals, university students and social change agents from Vancouver, Canada. Entirely youth-run, we empower young leaders and social change agents through innovative projects, mentorship, education, outreach and events. The organization is growing rapidly and counts multiple major programs and over 100 volunteers around the world.
Under the direction of the Communications Chair, the Communications Coordinator will lead the implementation of the organization’s Communications Plan, including branding, online and social media promotions, networking and community relations, and coordination of communication activities across the organization. This is a great opportunity for those who are interested in gaining hands-on experience in the communications and/or non-profit field.
This position has the potential of growing into a leadership role within the organization if the successful candidate demonstrates outstanding initiative and leadership abilities during their term.
Implementation of Marketing and Communications Plan
- Assist Communications Chair and the Operations team in establishing an annual plan for the Communications function. The plan will set out objectives, plans, and specific activities to be pursed in each area of responsibility.
- Under the direction of the Communications Chair, lead the implementation of the Communications Plan, which may include online and social media promotion as well as networking and community relations, as described below.
- Write copy to create documents to promote Global Agent programs
- Write internal communication messages to help volunteers communicate Global Agent programs
- Write press releases
Online and social media promotions
- Coordinate online and social media campaigns, including Facebook, Twitter, and viral promotion campaigns
- Coordinate website design and collateral production with graphic designer and other outside contractors
- Ensure that the Global Agents website is updated with content in the timely manner, including the drafting of copy for the website
Networking and community relations
- Seek out, connect, and build relationships with community groups to promote the organization and its programs
- Coordinate volunteers and resources for Global Agents “booths” at community events
- Draft communications material for Global Agent events
- Communicate with media to promote Global Agent and upcoming major events
- Coordinate media enquiries and coordinate appropriate spokespeople for interviews
- Pitch key stories to media
- Write donor relation reports by coordinating updates with Global Catalyst Initiative team
Branding & coordination of communication across the organization
- Work with the Communications Team to create and maintain the Global Agents for Change brand
- Liaise with volunteers from Global Agents programs and events to ensure consistent messaging and branding
- Ensure that all web/graphic designers follow approved graphic standards
- Work with Creative Director to develop brochures, posters, and other promotional materials
Skills and Experience
- Experience in Communications and/or Marketing an asset
- Experience in media relations an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Detail-oriented, organized, and able to multitask
- Ability to problem solve and work with limited financial resources
- Flexibility in volunteer hours
- Requires attending some events on weekends or evenings
Interested applications should send a cover letter, CV, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, February 25, 2011.