“To enhance the value of the UBC Sauder School of Business Bachelor of Commerce
degree while cultivating the personal, professional and academic success of students.”
~ UBC Commerce Undergraduate Society Mission Statement
Dear Members of the UBC Commerce Undergraduate Society,
One of the responsibilities of the CUS government is to ensure that the policies and procedures that hold the organization together structurally are as effective and appropriate as possible. Most policy changes are made by your elected representatives on the CUS Board of Directors; however, changes to the CUS Constitution must be approved by the student body.
Over the past year, the CUS Governance Review Task Force went through a review of the CUS Constitution with the mandate of recommending any improvements to the document. Through that process, the committee proposed a series of changes that fall into three main categories:
1. Turnover Date Changes:
• A return of the annual turnover date of the CUS Board and Executive to the first Monday in March
2. Board Speaker Reform:
• The Speaker of the Board of Directors shall be called “Chairperson”
• The Speaker position will be selected from amongst the elected year representatives and not hired
• Change of name of “Student Council” to “Service Council” within constitution
• Other smaller changes that can be viewed in the track-changes document of the constitution
As per the current CUS Constitution, in order to make these changes we need the support of the General Membership in a referendum. On January 18th, 2011, the CUS Board of Directors approved a motion to request the support of the CUS General Membership. Why now? With elections for the next Board of Directors around the corner, these changes need to be implemented right away in order to be effective.
Here are some important dates in regards to the referendum and elections:
– Voting for the referendum will take place from February 7th at 8 PM to February 10th at 3pm
– Results for the Referendum will be sent via email to the CUS General Membership by February 12th latest after voting closes.
For your reference, we have attached a short presentation outlining the rationale behind the changes as well as complete final and track changes versions of the Constitution. If you have any further questions, please reach out to Johannes Rebane at firstname.lastname@example.org or to any of your board representatives listed below.
The Commerce Undergraduate Society
For background information on the changes, please click here to download the information package.
First Year Representatives
Second Year Representatives
Third Year Representatives
Klazina van den Berg
Fourth Year Representatives